Under direct supervision, the Benefits Specialist serves as the initial point of contact for all employees of the organization. The Benefits Specialist is a subject matter expert on all of the Health and Welfare Benefit plans. The Benefits Specialist answers telephone calls and emails sent to the Benefits mailbox promptly, responds to inquiries, questions and concerns, and works through employee issues using available resources and procedures related to assigned benefit programs.
The Benefits Specialist will also assist with handling processes within the Tuition Benefit Program. As a member of the “front line”, the Benefits Specialist is expected to promote organizational and department values and adhere to established policies and procedures while demonstrating courtesy and respect for all co-workers and customers. The Benefits Specialist will work in a hybrid model – with time in the office as well as time working at home.
Duties include but are not limited to:
– Handle daily administration of benefits between carriers and employees including independent research and resolution of employee issues with insurance providers and other benefit administrators or internal departments
· Answer phone calls and emails sent into the Benefits team mailbox. Explain benefit programs and information to new or newly eligible employees and assist the employee with enrolling in their benefits and/or the processing of a life event
· Research employment dates, salary data, and gather other pertinent information to process life insurance claims, Medicare, and other forms upon request
· Escalate found data issues to Supervisor and notify appropriate parties to correct data
· Assist with the open enrollment process including performing test case data management to prepare benefits admin platform with new rates, data validation, and proper configuration of plans and rules. Also attends annual benefits vendor fair live sessions, and reviews/provides feedback on open enrollment materials
· Process benefit arrearages for employees coming back from a leave of absence and owe a balance for benefit contributions that were not taken while they were out on a leave. May involve recalculation of amount owed over a period of time, upon request
· Process STD and LTD requests on a daily basis. This may require additional research depending on the information requested. Response time is within 24 hours.
· Process and/or approve life events on a daily basis as per procedures
· Be a subject matter expert on all rules and government regulations related to health and welfare plans offered at the organization including ERISA and COBRA
· Able to work independently and critically think through complicated scenarios with a sense of when to escalate to Supervisor
· Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
· Other duties as assigned to support the unit department